Tra Vinh University
“Bringing quality education to the community”
Tra Vinh University was formed regarding the Decision No. 141/QĐ/2006-TTg dated on June 19th, 2006 by the Prime Minister, located at No. 126, Nguyen Thien Thanh Street, Ward 5, Tra Vinh city, Tra Vinh province. Switchboard: +84.02943.855246. Website: www.tvu.edu.vn
Tra Vinh University (TVU), formerly Tra Vinh Community College was formed in 2001 under Vietnam and Canada Community College Project. The project was funded and supported technologies by Department of International Development, Canada, Canada Association of Community Colleges (ACCC), some institutes in Canada such as Saskatchewan Institute of Science and Applied Technology (SIAT), Marine Institute (MI), Québec Institute of Technology of Agriculture (ITA), and Malaspina University and College, and Vietnam Government. Vietnam and Canada Community College Project proved that Canada community college model has been able to effectively implement to Vietnam educational system.
TVU is a public university and operates under a multi-level, multi-disciplinary, multi-training method model. Through cooperation with government services, unions, socio-economic associations, institutes, businesses, recruiters, workers, and international associations, the university carries out its responsibilities such as training human resources with high quality, research and application, and providing services and jobs for people in the province and the area. Those aim at contribution to cultural and socio-economic developments of Tra Vinh province and that of Mekong delta. The university has to report and be directly responsible for its operation to the managing unit – Tra Vinh People Committee and the Ministry of Training and Education (MOET).
All programs and courses, including associate programs are designed and carried out in accordance with the developmental needs of communities under the permission of MOET.
Within ten years of its formation and development, the university gradually confirms its scale and training quality in Mekong Delta. The amount of students increases from two hundreds in the first course in July 2002 to twenty thousands in different majors. The amount of graduated students often gains 70%, especially the quantity students who can have jobs after one graduation year is 90%.
“Bringing quality education to the community” is the motto of the university. With this motto, TVU has designed, developed and conducted its training programs, courses suitable for learning demands of communities. In the year 2017 – 2018, Tra Vinh University offers 4 Doctoral programs, 18 Master programs, 42 Undergraduate programs and 26 Advanced Diploma programs with full-time training, associate training, part-time training and distance training. Besides, the university has designed and conducted in-service training programs according to companies’ and localities’ demands and much more widely responding to learning demands of communities since this academic year.
There are 12 schools including School of Agriculture and Aquaculture, School of Engineering and Technology, School of Medicine and Pharmacy, School of Economics and Law, School of Foreign Languages, School of Applied Chemistry, School of Basic Sciences, School of Education, School of Southern Khmer Language, Culture and Arts, School of Public Management, Office Administration and Tourism, School of Political Science and School of Pre-University. There are 12 departments and three boards, three councils, 11 centers and other units including Institute for Research Development, Laboratory School, Scientific Journal, Library and Dormitories Administration. There are two satellite centers located in the districts of Cau Ngang and Duyen Hai, Tra Vinh province. There are three campuses. The main campus is located at 126, Nguyen Thien Thanh Street, Ward 5, Tra Vinh City, Tra Vinh Province.
Scientific research is paid special attention by the university. There are a number of applied researches to be transferred to community such as rice production as VietGap standard, coconut embryo culture model, safe vegetables production model and etc…contributing to economic efficiency in production in the province.
Based on the success of the Vietnam-Canada Community College Project, along with training development in the trend of international integration, TVU has identified that international cooperation is one of its strategic missions. The university is active in establishing relationships and has officially signed and implemented cooperation in the areas of scientific research, student and teacher exchange, receiving volunteers and etc… with its partners.
Functions and Responsibilities
With the mission of training highly qualified human resources to meet community demands, TVU identified its specific responsibilities for designing, developing, and conducting all programs and courses meeting development needs of communities, approved by the MOET.
The university has the specific functions and responsibilities as following:
1. Training in master and doctoral level (Master Degree, PhD degree)
2. Training in university level (Engineer, University Bachelor)
3. Training in college level, which considered as three-year college (College Bachelor)
4. Training in short-term and long-term courses for certificates such as Teaching Methodology (Advanced teaching methods and approaches of Malaspina University College), foreign languages, and computing.
5. Cooperating with the Canadian University of Vancouver Island to train a two-stage program at university level in Business Administration.
6. Cooperating with Southern Leyte University, Philippines to train Master level in Management.
7. Doing research, technological transfer and service provision, offering in-service training for the province and region.
8. Cooperating with governmental institutions, unions, socio-political organizations, educational institutions, businesses, employers, workers and international organizations in both training and research.
The headquarters in Campus I are located at 126, Nguyen Thien Thanh Street, Ward 5, Tra Vinh City, Tra Vinh Province. Two rest campuses are located in the inner city.
In 2017, the university had over 1,000 teachers and staff. With the young, active and inquisitive staff, TVU has been carrying out plans of fostering, studying to improve profession.
Due to developing from the model of the community college, TVU particularly concentrates on making connections and relations with communities in order to catch the needs of the labor market, timely update diversity information in socio-economic domains and science technology aiming at enabling to keep the training fully update and meeting social demands. Recently, the university has had connections with many businesses and recruiters inside and outside the province and provided contracted training regarding the business needs in many fields like garment, footwear, food processing, coconut processing and so on; called businesses, associations of fellow-countrymen for supporting students through providing annual scholarships. Simultaneously, a training advisory committee who are businesses, production enterprises, educators, educational specialists, consults each of training programs at TVU.
1. Provide training responding to the demands of labor markets
2. Implement the learner-center principle in education process, guaranteed learners to receive rights and best services from all activities of the University.
3. Expand its cooperation with businesses, employers and other national and international partners.
4. Create a public and transparent working environment, enabling all members of the University to maximize their capabilities.
5. Maintain and constantly improve the Quality Management System under ISO 9001:2008.
6. Flexibly apply the model of North American Community College, leading to be the advanced university model that can be duplicated in Vietnam.